"Seventy 'sevens' are decreed for your people and your holy city to finish transgression, to put an end to sin, to atone for wickedness, to bring in everlasting righteousness, to seal up vision and prophecy and to anoint the most holy. 25 "Know and understand this: From the issuing of the decree to restore and rebuild Jerusalem until the Anointed One, the ruler, comes, there will be seven 'sevens,' and sixty-two 'sevens.' It will be rebuilt with streets and a trench, but in times of trouble. 26 After the sixty-two 'sevens,' the Anointed One will be cut off and will have nothing. The people of the ruler who will come will destroy the city and the sanctuary. The end will come like a flood: War will continue until the end, and desolations have been decreed. 27 He will confirm a covenant with many for one 'seven.' In the middle of the 'seven' he will put an end to sacrifice and offering. And on a wing of the temple he will set up an abomination that causes desolation, until the end that is decreed is poured out on him." (NIV)
- As we reckon time in 10 year segments called decades, the children of
Israel reckoned time in 7 year Sabbatical year cycles, called here "sevens." Each
seven lasts for seven years in the same way a decade lasts ten years. This
prophecy covers seventy sevens, that is, seventy seven year cycles, for
a total of four hundred ninety years.
- For which people have the seventy "sevens" been decreed?
- HINT: Daniel 9:24
- HINT: The Israelites?
- HINT: The Gentiles?
- HINT: Both?
- Has this prophecy been completely fulfilled for the Israelites?
- To be completely fulfilled all of the following must be true for the people of Israel. (See verse 24)
- They have finished transgression.
- They have put an end to sin.
- Their sin has been atoned for. (This is only true of you have entered into Jesus Christ by faith.)
- Everlasting righteousness has been brought in for them.
- Vision and prophecy has been sealed up.
- The most holy has been anointed.
- NOTE: If any of the above are not complete then the prophecy is not complete.
- What event marks the start of the seventy "week" count-down?
- HINT: Daniel 9:25
- HINT: Ezra 1:2-4
- How many years after the start before Jerusalem is restored and
- NOTE: Ezra and Nehemiah describe the rebuilding.
- How many years after the start until the "Anointed One" would
- Why does this prophecy call the Anointed One, the ruler?
- HINT: Zechariah 9:9
- HINT: Mark 15:2
- HINT: Luke 19:38
- Who is the Anointed One?
- What does it mean that the Anointed One would be cutoff and have
- HINT: Luke 19:11-27